Wednesday 4 November 2009

What's in a name?

The latest celebrity naming of a child has undoubtedly just affected my own child's life. Colleen and Wayne Rooney have just had the great news of a healthily delivered baby boy. This is of course a happy occasion for Wayne and his fashion addicted wife but it means a life of commonality with regard my three year old sons name.
Wayne and his wife have named their son Kai, the name my wife and I decided to settle upon for our own child on his birth just over three years ago. There is of course nothing wrong with doing that except every celebrity obsessed young girl will now follow suit and fail to be original in their own naming of children.
I can now see a plethora of little Kai's coming into the world and so the turning of a once half decently original name into one of the most commonly used.
I feel there should be a book of stupidly exotic names for celebrities to choose from in order to avoid these issues in the future. Unusually exotic names are usually all the rage for those in the public eye so I guess it should be applauded that Wayne and his spouse should not follow suit but still I feel pity for my young son.
His only saving grace is to have come along before he could ever be accused of having parents guilty of following fashion but even still. It would not surprise me if he should change his name in the future to that of something so outlandish and uncommon that he would indeed feel like an original.
I'm thinking George or Graham? Surely names that will have died out altogether by the time he is 18?

No comments:

Post a Comment