Sunday 22 November 2009

What did I do with my time?

I'm 6 days from my 40th birthday and it leaves me wondering what on earth I have done with my time? I seem to have lived the average life with a couple of children, a job or two and a few years in my younger days of being drunk and having fun but what does it all mean? Well very little if truth be told.
I wonder if I would have appreciated my children any more than I do if I'd had them when I was younger, I doubt it.
I would probably have ruined any relationship I could have had but I can't really say that as it would have changed my attitude no matter what age I would have been. My kids have turned me into an overly emotional and very protective dad who would give nothing short of his life for his children. I would have thought that was a normal reaction of a parent to a child but the older I get the more I realize that simply isn't the case.
I still find it disturbing that parents cannot feel for their children the way they should and I for one would like to see those adults punished for every act of selfishness and neglect towards their kids.
I have regret about spending so much of my adult life wasting money and time on nights out and alcohol.  All of it for nothing either. I have absolutely nothing to show for those years of over indulgence except a reduced bank balance and a few stories and that disturbs me. I would love to have had the advantage of hindsight but I could apply that remark towards every part of my life.
I guess that's what they call experience and that really is something that cannot be bought. Experience really is what makes a man from a boy on every level and if only I could bottle it up and sell it, I'd make a fortune. But instead I've spent one and that pretty much sums it up.

No comments:

Post a Comment